Saturday, September 26, 2015

New 1/4 GP for 17 Meters

Built a 1/4 Vertical Antenna with 4 tuned radials for 17meters.    Each element is 13' ,  trimmed the vert el to be around 12' to be the lowest VSWR 1.1:1 at 18.068 MHz.   I am running this through my Ameritron RCS 4 remote antenna switch.   On the switch is a 30 meter and 17 meter antennas a couple of dozen feet apart.  I was listening on 30 meters and observed a signal around S5 with the 17 meter antenna when I switched to the 30 meter antenna it went to S9.  The difference between S5 and S9 is a whopping 24 db...HOLY Smokes .   I expected a few dbs but not nearly.

In the video I am tuned to a 30 meter station at first I am using the 17 meter vertical then I switch to the 30 merter vert then  back to then repeat ending on the 30 meter antenna.




As soon as I tuned up the 17 meter GP I called SSB CW once only repeating my call 3 times then  a station in Washington State came back,  56 and a guy in FLA 59.   Needless to  say it works very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment