Monday, April 6, 2020

6m Vert vs 160m Inv L

  My 160m inverted L works very good on 6m .   Built a 1/4 Very with 8 radials,  just like the inverted L and placed it next to the big antenna. 

Here is my first FT8 contact ...
















Initially I was receiving WXK off the new 1/4 Vert ,  3 consecutive transmissions @ -8 db.   When he wasn't hearing me I switched to the 160m inv L ,  he came up 10 db and heard me reporting a -10.   His transmissions received on the 160m inv L were  2, 4, 2.

Wow ,  10 db difference ...HUGE.  The 160m inv L acts more like a long wire  on 6m.  When its modeled there is a distinct lobe in line with the long horizontal element.   The 160m inv L aims S  SE ....WXK was 169 deg in AZ.   The 160m inv L runs 135 deg ish. 

 I was expecting better 6m receive on the 160m inv  but better transmit.   There is one thing that I am slightly suspicious of and thats cable loss.   Its 500' to the top of the hill ,  mostly LDF4 with the last 100' being another chunks of smaller diameter hard line.  Swept the cable run a few days ago and the loss was less then 3 db!

 Further testing is required before writing this one off.   There is a 6m net on Tuesday eve that may provide some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment