Thursday, April 7, 2016

Juan da who or should I say why!!!!!

After not too great an effort to work VK0EK on 30m CW I decided to try for the other biggy Juan de Nova Island FT4JA .   Today I spent close to 3 hours calling these guys on 15m SSB.  They were calling on 21.300 and listening between 21.305 and 21.320.  You can fit a shit load of signals in the 15 Khz worth of spectrum.  Between 11am est and noon the signal was pretty weak fading out at times.   Between noon and 2pm est they were booming in and moving the S meter 2-3 units .... 100% loud copy.   Normally if I hear em I can work em on the 14avg with 100 watts.   That wasn't the case today ... just too too many folks calling and lots of big guns.   I sure wished they had have been CW...please , please please I am sure I would have worked them.

 As entertaining as it was I though to myself WHY ... WHY am I wasting my time.  Its not nearly as exotic a destination as Heard Island and it wasn't some  bazillion Ks away.   I am not chasing QSL cards couldn't give a rats ass about certificates or any kind of recognition.    I just get a kick out of making an antenna then using it to talk to folks around the globe ... thats all!





No comments:

Post a Comment