Saturday, October 6, 2018

Some 160 Meter Magic

Been hanging out on 160m for a little over a year...mostly FT8.    I am working nights and have the ham shack on the desktop working the usual few hundred to couple of thousand Ks away stuff...just before break I got into the US Virgin Islands and was being heard in a couple of other Islands.   No I like to see how low I can go power wise and was mostly running 10 Watts tonight.   After my break I threw up another 10 Watt FT8 CQ and IK2DFZ answered reporting a 0 SNR ....huge for 10 Watts.  At first I though it wasn't a real QSO but when I looked at the guys QRZ page it look like it could be legit.   I have heard of 160 magic so I guess it just must have been one of those moments.   I cranked the power up to 100 Watts and completed the QSO...the antenna is an " Inverted L" 500' from the house on the top of a hill which works out to 120' above the house. 

Captured the QSO....


No comments:

Post a Comment