Friday, October 19, 2018

When Hobbys Collide

The other hobby is Ultra Running ,  anywhere from 50 km to 100 Miles at time mainly on trails.   A local friend and Ultra Runner was doing the Moab 240 and I was going to Crew and Pace him.   Cell coverage in the Moab Dessert in Utah was spotty at best and most of the time there was none!   Local amateurs more or less ran the event.   They were using repeaters and simplex frequencys to provide communications to the dozen or so aid stations.  They were also tracking the runners who were wearing " Spot " trackers.   If you wanted too know where someone was on the course you could just ask on 146.580...it was very convenient to know when to expect my runner at the aid station.  I also ran with my radio,  it was entertaining and informative but most of all it gave me the ability to call in a runner in distress if I cam across anything like that fortunately I didn't.

The picture was taken at " Bridger Jack " aid station as I was getting ready for an overnight pacing assignment to the " Shay Mountain " aide station. 

























This is Mountain I Ran up ,  30.5 km distance with an overall  +4,600 ft , -2,100 ft elevation change.




No comments:

Post a Comment